I was sitting around last night with some writer’s block and just on a whim I started naming the chapters of my novel. I know some authors do this but I am not sure how common it is. Most books I read don’t have their chapters named.
Most of the titles I gave to my chapters are pretty lame, cryptic hints at what the chapter is going to contain. Although some I really do like, especially the first chapter’s name. Which I think I am going to make the actual title of my novel thus making project “Dark Moon” officially called “Under The Darkened Moon”.
I like it. Still don’t know about the chapter names however.
For the better part of the last two weeks I have been writing and rewriting the lead up to the end of my novel project “Dark Moon”. As I have talked about before, I stripped out what would have been 30,000 to 50,000 words of story arc around the 100,000 word mark in order to keep the story under 175,000 words. Current projections have this novel coming in under 140,000 words.
This task however of getting to the end of the story has proven difficult. More difficult than I first thought. (more…)
My novel, aka Project “Dark Moon”, was starting to get a little unwieldy. I am well past the 100,000 word mark and the problem was that it looked like there was going to be another 100,000 until the end came around. So I have taken an axe to the plot following the minor climax which sets up the ending.
I figure that it would be unlikely that anyone would want to publish a 200,000 word novel by a first time novelist so I have pared things back to what appears to be a 140,000-150,000 word limit.
Now I just have to keep my focus and stop myself from going back and adding in things that I decided to cut. That is certainly harder than most people think!